Friday, December 28, 2012

New Food: Bubble Gum

HumorMD Jr had a great experience over the holiday trying a new food. As you'll hear about in a future post, we spent a portion of Christmas Eve at the pediatrician's office with an ear infection (too traumatic to talk about now). We walked away with a prescription for some bubble gum flavored amoxicillin. I surely wish that I had such flavored medicines when I was a kid. Anyone that has ever tasted liquid amoxicillin or augmentin can tell you that you would rather just keep blowing your nose than have to taste that stuff multiple times per day.

I'll admit that I was a bit skeptical about the bubble gum flavor thing. We're talking about the kid that thinks the Rotavirus vaccine tastes like chocolate cake, so I didn't understand why we didn't just give him the original. Don't want to throw him off his game with the whole flavoring thing. Not to mention that it could ruin actual bubble gum. It's going to take him years to figure out that Big League Chew isn't medicine and that you shouldn't immediately swallow it. I don't want him to be the kid standing at second base calling out to the coach that he ran out of gum because he ate all he had. Embarrassing.

Anyway, little man is taking it like a champ. No surprise there for anyone. I haven't tasted it myself, but the stuff surely does smell just like bubble gum. I was going to ask the pharmacist what other flavors could be arranged for when I get a sinus infection, but Mrs. HumorMD nixed that pretty quickly. I think it's an important question though. There are a lot more adults that can't swallow pills than you might think. I'm sure the number of people that take their medicine appropriately would also skyrocket if it tasted good. Can you imagine cholesterol medicine that tastes like creme brulee? It would be awesome. Instead of eating the real thing and shooting up their cholesterol, they can take the medicine and lower it. Add it to HumorMD Jr's franchising opportunities. We just want to make sure we lock up all the royalties right now.

P.S. Here is the updated list of favorite foods:

1. Formula (aka baby crack)
2. Liquid Tylenol
3. Rotavirus vaccine (same link as Tylenol)
4. Sophie the Giraffe
5. Amoxicillin
6. Bubble Gum

No comments:

Post a Comment