Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rec League Basketball

HumorMD Jr took in his first live sporting event this past weekend, his little cousin's rec league basketball game. Believe it or not, he loved it. He stayed awake for almost the whole game and seemed to actually enjoy watching it. He loves anything that involves bright lights and fast moving objects. So, kids running up and down a court in a gym is perfect entertainment for him.

I took the opportunity to provide a little coaching for the little man. No need to waste an opportunity here. I have to say that the game provided plenty of examples of things not to do. Not unexpected for this age group. I had a field day pointing out to little buddy how settling for three pointers (not even kidding), refusing to pass the ball, and dragging your pivot foot are all easily preventable things that should be avoided at all times.

I will say that it was nice to finally see the kids play by the actual rules. Many youth leagues play with modified rules that don't let them steal the ball, etc. I was never a fan of this. If we're going to teach them the game, then why don't we teach it to them right? I watched a kid get whistled for three seconds in the lane on the very first possession. The look on his face told me that he not only had never heard of the rule, but he was also pretty sure that the ref just made that up. There were several humorous moments like that that the crowd enjoyed.

Lastly, I have to say that the parents were fairly well behaved. There's always that one person that yells like its the Olympics. Aside from a coach getting a technical foul (yep, I'm serious), everyone minded their p's and q's. Looking forward to next week when the basketball education continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment