Monday, November 12, 2012

Toys-R-Us is Scary

We went through Toys-R-Us this weekend to see what might be available for little man for Christmas. We figured we would browse the aisles, come up with ideas, and have fun seeing what toys we played with as kids are actually still around. It turns out going to Toys-R-Us is not nearly that simple. Instead of a nice family outing to a toy store, a more apt description would be an hour long walk through the scene of a horror movie. Let me explain.

I don't really like to shop for starters. I'm the get in and get out type. So, merely walking up and down the aisles looking for ideas sent me into a tailspin after about five minutes. Added on top of that is the complete sensory overload. Toys-R-Us is smart, and they have made it possible to try out nearly every bell and whistle on every toy in the store. This makes for a pretty chaotic environment. The doll aisle sounds like a recital. The toy car aisle sounds like NASCAR. The GI Joe aisle...well, you get the idea. The icing on the cake was the multiple temper tantrums being thrown as other parents attempted to "just look" like we were doing. HumorMD Jr and I had a long discussion about how badly it would go for him if he ever pulled a stunt like that on me in a store (I know older parents...you're laughing at me right now).

Mrs. HumorMD is fairly industrious in these types of situations fortunately. There was a hot item that we needed for another gift, and she had already planned ahead to have it shipped to the store. If I had to go through the warzone, I was at least excited about killing two birds with one stone here. As luck would have it, it had not arrived as promised. Lo and behold however, the item was actually sitting on the shelf. We thought we were home free until we ran into a little problem, Ricki.

Now I know you are wondering who Ricki is right now. I can tell you five facts about Ricki right now:
  1. Ricki is now known on a first name basis by every customer in the store with us this weekend
  2. Ricki is the manager of this Toys-R-Us
  3. Ricki likes to have all decisions run through him
  4. Ricki is new
  5. Ricki needs help
Ricki informed us that even though we had already paid for the item that had not arrived on time, we could not merely get it from what they already had in stock there on the shelf. Both Mrs. HumorMD and I tried to explain to Ricki that it was certainly in his best interest to let us walk out with the item that we had in effect already paid for. Unfortunately, he didn't see it our way and even informed us that other people were waiting and needed his attention more than us at that very moment (rookie mistake). Mrs. HumorMD and I then accomplished the incredible feat of walking out of the store without an item that both had been paid for and was currently sitting on the store shelves. Mind blowing.

So there you have it. First outing as a parent to a toy store during the holiday season. What a nightmare. I don't mean to be all doom and gloom. We did find a few items for HumorMD Jr. The entire experience did reinforce all of my preconceived notions about shopping however. From now on, I will revert to my trustworthy principle of shopping. Amazon is my friend.

*UPDATE* We have now been contacted by Toys-R-Us to let us know that they are out of the item nationwide. Not sure when they'll get more...and no, I'm not making this stuff up.

No comments:

Post a Comment