Friday, November 16, 2012

It's Spiller Time

Today is Friday, so that means we are one day away from college football. As you have gathered from previous posts, HumorMD Jr and I are always excited about that. I’ve previously talked about how much I enjoy watching Tim Tebow play because of the way he plays the game as well as what he stands for off the field. With that said, there is one other person who I follow just as much. We managed to have the NFL Sunday Ticket generously given to us this year (yay TV network disputes), and my wife will tell you that there are two players that I am always going to watch. Tebow and CJ Spiller.
It’s time for full disclosure at this point. I love CJ’s emphasis on his faith off the field, and no one can deny his skills on the field. We also happen to share the same alma mater. My junior and senior year overlapped with his freshman and sophomore years at Clemson. Youtube is full of highlights from those years. It’s safe to say that I’ve never seen a guy with the moves that he’s got. I was there that night that he juked those two Georgia Tech defenders (Clemson fans know exactly what I’m talking about). His speed and quickness is just flat ridiculous. As a side note, my praise for running backs does not come easy as I graduated from high school with one of the best high school running backs to ever play in SC. Some of the local folks may be able to guess who it is.
Off the field, CJ is as classy as it gets. He’s very involved in his church and multiple charities. His other main focus is caring for his daughter. Many athletes spend their first big check on things that don’t matter. Not CJ. After signing his rookie contract, he presented a check for $100,000 to Clemson University. As a young father who is looking for athletes that my son will be able to look up to one day, CJ is at the top of that list.
The icing on the cake is that some people doubted CJ when he came into the NFL. People said he couldn’t be an every down back or carry the load for a team. Well, his performance during this season should go a long way towards answering that. I was excited to see him get a lot of touches during last night’s game against Miami. The results speak for themselves. I’m looking forward to seeing him get even more touches as well take advantage of the increased attention to share what is most important to him, his faith. Keep it up CJ. Clemson is proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment