Monday, March 17, 2014

The Loud Reader

I don't remember the first book I read. My memory is good but unfortunately not that good. I am sure, though, that my first reading experience was probably different from my son's. Like his mother and I, little buddy enjoys good literature. It's fun to watch him rifle through his collection until he finds the perfect one that he is looking for. Usually a squeal of delight follows, and he sits down to enjoy himself.

Some of you probably can harken back to the good old elementary school days and remember "that kid that read aloud." You know the one I'm talking about. The teacher gave out an in-class reading assignment. You'd settle down in your desk to get started and realize that some kid is just yammering away next to you. You turn to tell him to be quiet and realize that he's not talking, he's reading. I had several of these in my classes throughout the years. Invariably, the teacher would bring it up to the kid's parents, and they would proudly say that they taught him that! I understand that you want your kid to enjoy to read, but we have some social constraints that should at least be considered along the way.

Given my experience with these kids at an early age, you can imagine my feeling when I see my kid doing this:



Yep, my kid is a loud reader. This feels like God laughing at me right now. He is, isn't He? Needless to say, we have a few things to work on here in the HumorMD household. I must say that I suddenly feel much more sympathetic to those parents that were pulled aside by the teacher back in my day. Hey, at least the kid is reading, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment