Sunday, March 9, 2014

Just Around the River Bend


If residency were a train ride, I'd be rounding the final bend right about now. Nearly all of the difficult months are behind me, and with the exception of a few random swing shifts, I am in the process of transitioning to a work schedule that closely resembles that of a normal person. This transition is partially to blame for my re-entry into blog world. I have a little more time now, and I should be able to put something up every now and then without staying up too late at night. Quite frankly, I also just enjoy it. It's nice to have an outlet for your thoughts.


It really is amazing how much residency changes you. I'm now part of the "old man crew." I was standing in the elevator this past week with three other third year guys. When we started a little less than three years ago, there wasn't a gray hair in the bunch. Now, all of us have a few silver (or even white) hairs in our heads. Incredible. Those before and after shots of Presidents that I used to cackle at are no longer funny. Long term stress can really do a number on you.


Despite my occasional old man ways, little man is still keeping me young. He has blossomed into a full scale toddler, and he is...active. I spend a lot of my time at home chasing balls, running laps around the kitchen, and shutting doors that I swore were already locked. The kid is a magician. Here is a list of current skills that will probably be worthy of further posts:


-Draining his own bath water when he's ready to get out

-Perfecting the poop toss

-Finding his own TV channels

-Texting and Driving


That should be enough to keep us busy for a little while. I'll throw in a few medical topics along the way as well that might be useful. I'm still a fan of the four dollar med list. I'm still a fan of providing as much value as possible to patients. What if I told you that I could achieve the same benefit with a four dollar medication as a heart cath? It would be interesting, wouldn't it? Well don't worry. I still have a few of these tricks up my sleeve...

No comments:

Post a Comment