Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mother's Day Communion Meditation

In our church, people rotate giving a short meditation before communion each week. People typically do this for one month at a time and then rotate. It is my turn this month, and these are my thoughts I shared today in our communion meditation.

As many of you know, today is Mother's Day. For those of you that have forgotten, its quite honestly too late for me to help you. Might as well enjoy the service now because you once walk out of those doors...it ain't gonna be pretty my friend.

Mother's Day is a special holiday for me. Sure, I always celebrated it with my mom growing up, and we would do nice things for her. But my perspective has changed over the past two and a half years as my wife has become a mother.

There's a whole new level appreciation for the fact that her work really never ends. You can hear it in my son's reply to almost any question around the house. Want to eat now, son? Momma? Want to take your bath now, son. Momma? Scared in the middle of the night and need someone to sleep on a half deflated air mattress next to your bed. Momma?

It's the only job that never ends, has no rules, and pays nothing, and God knew what he was doing when he put my wife and all of your wives and moms in that role. I know my job this morning is to get you ready for our time of communion, but the whole purpose of this day should already be doing that.

Today we celebrate the people in our lives that give all of themselves every day to make sure we are taken care of. They ignore their own personal wants and needs and think about their families before themselves. As we have been learning about in Sunday School the past few weeks, "Jesus spoke of that." Jesus gave His all so that we could be sons and daughters of God. Today, we think all mothers for being living, breathing examples of that kind of sacrifice every day in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment